【他手边有太多事要做了】
Vince: Morning, Zina. Just wanted to say thanks again!
文斯: 早安,吉娜。只是想再次说声谢谢!
Zina: Hi, Vince. Thanks for stopping by. How's the work coming along for the 1) online auction?
吉娜: 嗨,文斯。多谢你又顺道过来了。线上竞标的工作进行得如何?
Vince: Oh, yeah. I'm glad you 2) mentioned that. I think we need to hire somebody new to 3) manage it.
文斯: 对了。我很高兴你提起这件事。我认为我们得请个新人来负责这部分。
Zina: Can't Elvin 4) handle it?
吉娜: 艾文他处理不来吗?
Vince: I think he's got too much on his plate.
文斯: 他手边有太多事要做了。
语言详解:
A: Will you tell your boss I'm interested in a job?
你会告诉你老板我有兴趣找工作吗?
B: I'll mention it tomorrow.
我明天就提。
【have too much on one's plate 贪多嚼不烂】
就算一个人的能力无穷,他的时间终究有限,若此时工作任务如排山倒海而来,难免让人怀疑他就算能一心二用,恐怕也免不了焦头烂额的下场,最后没有一样事情能做好。这种情况你就可以用Someone has too much on one's plate.来形容“(某人)贪多嚼不烂。”
A: I think he has too much on his plate right now.
我觉得他真的是贪多嚼不烂。
B: I agree. He's too busy to return my calls, and we have some important business tofinish.
我同意。他忙到没时间回我电话,而我们还有重要的公事要敲定呢。
跟这个惯用词相近的还有have a lot on one's plate,“有很多事要忙”。
A: I know you've got a lot on your plate. But you also have to consider your health.
我知道你有很多事要忙。但是你也该为健康着想。
B: I can't agree more.我完全同意。
1) online auction 线上竞标
2) mention (v.) 提及,说到
3) manage (v.) 管理, 处理
4) handle (v.) 料理,处理。take care of...亦为“料理,处理……”的意思。
本文来源:https://www.010zaixian.com/zuowen/ciyu/202302.htm